I am not sure how many musketeers there were, but, there are at least eight G-8 Summiteers who are acting like their Disney counterparts. The group
just started meeting today and have already all but concluded that they won’t reach a deal on fighting global warming.
1. Global inflation resulting from soaring food and fuel prices are too much.
2. African poverty is too big
3. Japan’s PM Fukuda can’t get everyone on the same page.
4. Can you say Copenhagen 2009 instead of making a decision now?
5. The Canadian Environment Minister – “I don’t think we’re expecting a deal. That will come under the UN auspices in Copenhagen next year.”
6. President Bush wants emerging economies, China, India and Brazil to sign on. That’s not happening.
7. France says that they are not optimistic.
8. Nobody is.
The end result expected – a ‘fuzzy agreement on long term goals.’ In that event, Fukuda will save face and everyone else can wait for the new U. S. president to take office in January 2009.
What? No leadership without the U.S.? Come on guys!