Beijing continues to pull out all the stops, stop signs?, to make the usual transportation mess more Olympic friendly, greener, too. There’s a plan:
1. Some 500 vehicles used for shuttling between the Olympic village and venues will be powered by electricity, mixed fuel, or batteries. 780 tons of gasoline and diesel fuel will be saved. C02 will be reduced by 2,510 tons. An Olympic record?
2. 34 Olympic bus lanes will be opened up during the Games.
3. 126 ‘intelligent road sensors’ have been installed in special traffic lanes. When an Olympic bus pulls up the traffic lights will automatically change. Hang on to those puppies once the Games are over!
4. Some public transport vehicles will get the sensors, too.
5. Starting next week, Beijing will start an 0dd-even number traffic control system
6. An accident detection system is in place to speed up response time by 3-5 minutes.
In the end, the hope is that the Games run smoothly and Beijing can keep the air clean. That way neither traffic nor the athletes will be choked.