Beijing is a city of about 11 million people. Since 2001, in the lead up to the 2008 Summer Olympic Games the city has spent some $8.8 billion to improve its power supply capability. What does the city have to show for it?
1. Total power supply capability is up 124%
2. The city now has 344 transformer sub-stations
3. The sub-stations generate 37,840 kilovolts of power or more.
4. Blackout times per household have decreased by 40%
5. Natural gas transmissions have reached 15.3 billion cubic meters/year UP 400%!
6. Central heating network for the city is 837 km (500+ miles) and 130 million square meters up 100% from 2001.
7. The city’s total heating area is up 70% from 200.
And, of course, the city is burning enough energy to supply all of central Africa. But, then wh0’s comparing? The Games happen in about 2+ weeks. I don’t know about you, but I am betting the Opening Ceremony will definitely be worth watching. China does know how to throw a party even if it doesn’t care about the cost.